Sunday, September 29, 2019

Response to Concept: Wk 7; M, 9/30

 Reflecting on my younger school days, images of rhyme-filled poems come to mind. I remember reading nursery rhymes and poems that included end rhyme. I remember learning about ABAB-the constant pattern being drilled into my head. Since I grew up reading these poems, it's unsurprising that I expected most poems to follow a certain rhythm or sound. I didn't realize until my senior year of high school when I took my first creative writing class the diversity of poetry! I learned how much you could do inside a couple of stanzas, and I loved it! It wasn't until this year however that I was able to understand internal rhyme in such complexity. In the chapter "Meter, Rhyme, and Form" the author discusses this concept. They demonstrate how poems can rhyme words within a line rather than at the end of a line. It is something with which most poets can take home with them and use as a sharpened tool to craft any piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment