Sunday, September 22, 2019

Response to Concept: Wk 6; M, 9/23

In my writing, I have always felt a difficulty in finding my voice. Everything always felt choppy and like a conglomerate of other voices: bits and pieces of authors shelved on my bookcases popped out awkwardly in my writing. A piece of advice that truly helped me find my voice was from Stephen King in his novel "On Writing". He states that we can find our writing by reading a variety of novels and by copying some of our favorite passages. We could start by copying passage and analyzing the tone, sentence structure, diction, and syntax. I tried following his advice and it proved helpful. A similar piece of advice is provided in "Voice and Style." The authors tell us to find our persona by reading more poems and by copying different techniques. This chapter gave me a similar relief as "On Writing" because it provided different ways that I could shape my voice in poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment