Sunday, September 29, 2019

Poem Response: Wk 7; M, 9/30

When did I come to understand the meaning of iambic pentameter? I do not think it has ever truly clicked in my head. I've written countless poems yet my mind still swivels at the mere word. I tend to forget the definition, searching it on Google for instant relief. It seems to always pass by me as an eminent fog. My guess is that I can never remember because it was never emphasized in my youth..or that may just be an excuse for my forgetfulness. I can say that I've found the key to somewhat remembering though...and it's reading and analyzing poems with iambic pentameter. Specifically, "The Lull" from "Meter, Rhyme, and Form" comes to mind. I sat down reading this poem about a dead opossum. I felt like I was in a trance watching these dressed-up adults "traipsing" down railroad tracks, watching this dead creature on the side. I loved the imagery but what was most notable was the sound. It all seemed to fit conveniently.  Not every line sticks super close to iambic pentameter, but overall it does and that's what makes it wonderful to read. Poems like "The Lull" help me understand concepts in a more relatable fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment